Monterey Car Week, August 8 – 15, 2015 will once again attract tens of thousands of additional visitors to the Monterey Peninsula and the City of Monterey. Anyone who lives, works, visits, or goes to school in Monterey should be prepared for traffic delays and detours during Car Week. Downtown Monterey, Lighthouse Avenue, Foam Street and Cannery Row will experience higher-than-normal volumes of traffic as car carriers make their way through the City and auto enthusiasts from around the world converge on the area for car auctions and auto shows. Taking alternate routes to get around town and to access car events, parking a bit farther away and walking, and using the free MST trolley between downtown and Cannery Row are a few strategies for minimizing traffic delays during Car Week.
Lane and/or road closures to accommodate Monterey Car Week activities will occur downtown and on Cannery Row as follows:
· Del Monte Avenue between Washington and Alvarado streets will be down to one lane, August 8-17 from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
· The driveway entrance to the Portola Hotel and Conference Center will be closed Thursday through Saturday, August 13-15.
· Cannery Row will be closed from Hoffman to Drake, Wednesday through Saturday, August 12 – 15 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
· The entire length of Cannery Row (David Avenue to Drake) will be closed Friday, August 14 from 2-10 p.m.
Various venues in the City will host eight events during Monterey Car Week 2015 including the following:
· RM/Sotheby’s Car Auction at the Monterey Conference Center/Portola Plaza Hotel/Custom House Plaza, Thursday through Saturday, August 13-15. Previews begin at 10 a.m. Auctions start at 6 p.m.
· Russo & Steele Collector Automobile Auction at the Waterfront Parking Lot and Depot Parking Lot, Thursday through Saturday, August 13-15. Previews at 10 a.m. Auctions at 5 p.m.
· Rick Cole Auction at the Monterey Marriott, Thursday through Saturday, August 13-15;
· The MECUM Daytime Auction at the Hyatt Regency Monterey on Del Monte Golf Course, Thursday through Saturday, Aug. 13-15;
· JR-Auctions Cannery Row Car and Yacht Auction at the Monterey Plaza Hotel on Cannery Row from Wednesday through Saturday, August 12-15. Auctions from 12 – 4 p.m.
· Exotics on Cannery Row, a free-to-the-public, 150-car display of super performance luxury autos on the Row on Friday, August 14 from 4-8 p.m.
· Monterey AutoLuxe, a showcase of new cars and luxury goods at the Museum of Monterey.
· Laguna Seca Race Week Kick-off, a free-to-the-public display of 30 race cars on the 300 block of Alvarado Street on Friday, August 7 from 5-7 p.m.
The City of Monterey will publish up-to-date Car Week information on its website monterey.org and on its social media sites facebook.com/cityofmonterey and twitter.com/cityofmonterey. Monterey also is working with the Monterey County Convention and Visitors Bureau (MCCVB) and neighboring jurisdictions to provide event, road closures, and traffic information to visitors and residents. The MCCVB website seemonterey.com provides information, and a calendar listing all car events is available on the Concours website.