Public Water Now, a ratepayer group which seeks to purchase California American Water, will sponsor a town hall meeting titled, “Why Buy Cal-Am?” The meeting will include a panel of speakers with years of experience in Peninsula water issues, as well as a guest speaker from the national organization “Food and Water Watch.” Topics will include:
• Why buy Cal-Am and why now?
• What do Cal-Am’s Profit and Loss statement reveal?
• How can Cal Am be compelled to sell?
• Can we afford to buy Cal-Am?
• Vision of the Peninsula under Public OwnershipThe Town Hall Meeting will be held Wed., June 19 at 7:15 p.m. at the Unitarian Universalist Church of the Monterey Peninsula, 490 Aguajito Road, Carmel. Admission is free and plenty of parking is available. The audience will be encouraged to participate with their questions and comments.
Public Water Now is a community-based organization dedicated to publicly owned water on the Monterey Peninsula. We are composed of ratepayers growing increasingly alarmed at the coming high cost of water. The group is advocating for public ownership as the greatest weapon against the future high cost of water. Our membership includes people of all political and social persuasions who believe that water should be owned by and operated for the benefit of the Monterey Peninsula residents.
Public Water Now is sponsoring an initiative calling for the purchase of Cal-Am by the Monterey Peninsula Water Management District. Check out our web site at www.publicwaternow.org for more information.